The Deeds Office was created (in 1894) as a result of the effecting of Proclamation number 2 of 1894. It was set up at Salisbury. The Proclamation was used to create and buttress more formal government structures of the then South Zambesia, which included the creation of the ‘executive office’ of the Administrator who was equivalent to the head of government and the opening of the High Court. The proclamation came just after the amalgamation of Mashonaland and Matebeleland.
The Deeds Office became a critical option as the minority settlers started to look into agriculture and mining aggressively. The Office (thus) would be ushered in to bolster proprietary rights of the minority within the new government dispensation. The Office dealt with land rights, and functioned as a companies and intellectual property registry as well. The Office fell under the guidance of the Attorney General. Since most of the laws used by the South Zambesia administration were replicas of the Cape Colony Laws, the operations of the Office were more or less carved (modelled) from the systems and structures applicable in South Africa. The Deeds Office is currently housed under the Ministry of Justice, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs.