Frequently Asked Questions - Deeds Frequently Asked Questions

Please select your question category

FAQs - Deeds Frequently Asked Questions

The Notarial Deed is prepared by a notary public (lawyer) in triplicate.

A court application or a court order is required for a caveat to be noted over a property

-The estate must be registered with the court,
-Letters of Administration should be issued by the court appointing an Executor or Executrix
-The Executor or Executrix appoints any conveyancer (Lawyer) to carry out the preparation of the documents necessary to effect the transfer.
The conveyancer should lodge the file with the following documents;
1)    ED 16 form or Consent from  the court ( master of High Court)
2)    Final Liquidation and Distribution Account
3)    Section 120 of The Administration of Estates Act (if the estate is sold)
4)    Section 73 of the Deeds Registries Act(Cap 20:05)(if the estate is sold)
5)    Rates Clearance Certificate
6)    Registration fee of $50 (if the Estate is not sold)
7)    Duty is payable if the estate is sold

Title Deeds are prepared by conveyancers or lawyers who have appeared before the Registrar of Deeds.
The seller (i.e. an individual, local authority) usually initiates the process by choosing the specific lawyers to offer the service.
NB Deeds come to our office for Registration purposes only; the office does not prepare deeds.

Application should be made in terms of section 20 the Deeds Registries Regulations R.G.N No 249 of 1977
Application should be made to the registrar in writing.
The application shall be signed by the person in whose name the land or interest concerned is registered or if that person has died or is insolvent or under some legal disability, by his legal representative.
Notice of his proposed application to be published in form D.R.8 -----
a)    in the Gazette; and
b)    In one issue of a newspaper circulating in the area in which the land concerned is situated; Inviting persons having any objection to, or wishing to make representations in connection, with the issue of the replacement deed to lodge their objections or representations in writing at the deeds registry within fourteen days of the date of publication of the notice.

Obtain consent to cancellation from the Mortgagee.
Lodge with Deeds office the Bond to be cancelled, Holding Deed with the mortgaged property and the consent to cancellation from the Mortgagee.
A fee of US $20 is payable for each bond to be cancelled

Your ID any of the following particulars

  1. Stand number
  2. Name of the registered owner
  3. The Title Deed number
  4. A fee of US$ 1 is payable for each document or search

It is a law passed by the Government of Zimbabwe in terms of section 13 of the Deeds Registries Act (Chapter 20:05)

In terms of the Legal Practitioners Act (Chapter 27:07) any conveyancing issues should be handled by lawyers or conveyancers registered as such in terms of the Act.
In terms of our office practice any application should be lodged by lawyers

You are here: Home FAQ's Deeds Frequently Asked Questions